Curing WordPress Theme Confusion
In this article we are going to address WordPress theme confusion and answer some basic questions for our customers:
- What exactly is a theme?
- Why do I need to choose a theme?
- What different types of themes exist?
- Now forget everything you just learned!
WHAT EXACTLY IS A THEME?
When I first became involved with WordPress I heard all this talk of themes and it was somewhat confusing. It sounded as though themes were very important but I didn’t know exactly what they were and although I searched on Google I could not find any clear answers.
Without going into details, the theme basically defines the overall appearance, functions, and controls for your website.
First of all as a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the exact same WordPress website shown with four different themes:
WHY DO I NEED TO CHOOSE A THEME?
As we will cover later, with Persson Technologies you are not really choosing a theme but rather the overall look and feel of your website. For instance, what colors do you want to use? Do you want a main menu on the top, followed by a slide show, followed by a sub-menu below that? Would it also be nice to have a menu on the left side of the screen? Do you want a sidebar with widgets on the right side of the screen? Should the footer at the bottom of the screen include an additional menu? Where should social icons (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) be located?
What content should occupy the center of the home page? Some customers prefer a static home page (such as Persson Technologies) In this case the content does not change but instead remains the same. The alternate approach is when the home page automatically changes to display recent articles including pictures. These articles might contain details of your most popular or recently introduced products or special offers.
WHAT DIFFERENT TYPES OF THEMES EXIST?
To give you a quick idea of what is out there, here are some popular theme websites. Browse through these and see if there is a particular layout that appeals to you. Keep in mind we can easily move things around, change colors, and combine features from different themes. Also, every page on your website can be different (this will of course require additional development time).
NOW FORGET EVERYTHING YOU HAVE JUST LEARNED!
At Persson Technologies although we can install many different themes for you, we prefer to use the Divi theme from the Elegant Themes company. These are the most noteworthy reasons why Divi is a better choice as this theme:
- Is extremely configurable and can be easily modified to duplicate any theme you have viewed above
- Is designed to be responsive. We have created an article on the importance of using responsive themes here: https://perssontechnologies.com/are-responsive-websites-necessary/
- Is regularly updated with new security patches.
- Will always feature the newest technology
- Will always work with the latest version of WordPress
- Affords the greatest range of control over the features that can be added to your website and the most common features are built into the theme
We have created a page with more details of the Divi theme here: https://perssontechnologies.com/why-we-use-divi-technology/
Finally if after reading this article you are still suffering from WordPress theme confusion, please contact us for more information.