Learn These Secrets To Write Better Blog Articles
In this article we will discuss some quick pointers you can use to write better blog articles.
WHAT IS YOUR GOAL?
First of all, why should you write blog articles on your business website? Here are a few important reasons why this might make sense:
- Connecting with customers – Not only can you inform customers of your products and/or services but if you enable comments you can also answer their questions! What could be better?
- Driving more people to your website (SEO) – As you produce quality articles, other people will include links to your articles in forums and other locations. As a result this will improve your SEO rating (this will be covered in more detail later in this article).
- Creating a reference guide for yourself – Sometimes I will research a topic and write a detailed article so I can refer back to it at a later date. In this scenario I am not only informing my customers but I am also informing my future self. (This article is a perfect example.)
HOW DO YOU START?
What is the main theme?
As you begin your article, here are some questions you might want to ask yourself:
- What do you want to accomplish?
- Are there important points you wish to communicate?
- Which emotions if any do you want your reader to experience?
- How will this article help the customer?
Outline your article
Before you actually start your article it is important to create an outline. What are the main topics to cover and how should they be ordered? For instance, they could be ordered from old to new, easy to difficult, or the article might list problems with their associated solutions. Once you have the outline on paper it is easy to move sections around until the flow makes sense. I am including a sneak peak at the original outline for this article. After I had completed the outline I pasted it into WordPress and used it as the template as I was actually writing the article. Therefore I had a guide to tel me exactly what needed to be included in each section.
SEO Focus Keyword
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a collection of methods you can use to improve the ranking of your website in search engines such as Google and Bing. While this might not concern you at this time it is included here as this should be considered as you are composing each article. You can read more about this in our SEO article at this link. For now let me just say the SEO Focus Keyword should:
- Exist in the article URL
- Be included in the title
- Appear in the first paragraph of the article
- Be scattered throughout the article in the text and headings (this must be natural!, keyword stuffing will hurt your SEO ranking!)
- Be embedded in the alt attributes of images
Make the title stand out!
The title needs to stand out and pull your customer in. This is the very first thing they will see. Here are some thoughts:
Offer some advantage – You might say things like:
- How to make your website stand out
- Tips to increase your customer base
- Your business can be more profitable today!
Make it personal – Use words such as “you” and “your” to make more of an impact
Use powerful words – It is a known fact that some words are more successful at drawing people in. Consider these examples:
- Free – This is a no-brainer. Who doesn’t enjoy something for free? I would think everyone would click on that link!
- Easy – Life is too complicated, especially now in the 21st century. Things need to be easier!
- Better – I believe everyone would like things to be better.
- Learn – Learning and discovering new things is undeniably the path to success. Knowledge is power!
THE BODY OF YOUR ARTICLE
Break up the monotony!
Include photographs or graphics in the body of your article because:
- Pictures are worth a thousands words
- They break up the monotony and make the article more pleasant to read
- It makes the article stand out
- They can also be used as the featured image when posting to social media
Make lists into bullet points – again, it breaks up the monotony and makes the article easier on the eyes.
Use active voice whenever possible – This was a little confusing to me when I was a beginner at writing these articles. Consider the following two sentences:
John washed the car
The car was washed by John
The first sentence is active voice, the second is passive voice. To use active voice your sentence needs to use the structure of Subject-Verb-Object. Now consider this structure:
Frank needs to:
- Install WordPress
- Install the theme
- Import the media files
All of those items will probably be considered passive voice by the Yoast plug-in.
If you are using the Divi theme or Divi builder you can discover which sentences are being flagged as passive voice by previewing the article, copying all the text, and pasting it into the standard WordPress editor in a new post.
Transition words aid in the readability of your article and are the glue that hold your thoughts together. They can indicate if you are comparing or listing something and they are also important to indicate a conclusion.
Here are some important benefits of headings:
- They aid your users to quickly know the topic of each section
- It breaks up the article so it is easier to read
- The content can be located more easily
- Search engines rely on them in reading your content – this will improve your SEO rating
WRAPPING UP – FINAL STEPS TO WRITE BETTER BLOG ARTICLES
In putting the final touches on your article, review all the content and remove anything that is not relevant
Be sure to check your spelling!
Optionally, you might want to include a “call to action” somewhere in your article
- Invite comments
- Take a survey
- Encourage your customers to buy now with a special offer
If you have enabled comments on your website, respond to each customer comment in great detail, offering more content
In conclusion, after you write better blog articles be certain to share the headline on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn to draw more people to your website.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CHECK THESE RESOURCES
Please comment on this guide concerning how to write better blog articles. Let me know if this was useful and if you have any questions!